Thursday, February 13, 2014

How to sew Ruffles




There are a lot of girls in my house, so we love ruffles.  I must admit though, they aren't my favorite thing to sew.  I always manage to get something sewn in the wrong place, they scrunch together, they get tucked up into the seam, ect...
A lot of patterns say to sew one line of gathering stitches along the seam line and one more 1/4'' away in the seam allowance.  I really don't like having a row of gathering along the seam line.  I don't always sew perfectly straight, so I end up unpicking little bits of the gathering stitch that shows below the seam.  
I started sewing two rows of gathering stitches in the seam allowance.  That was better for me, but I would have to pull the gathers down as I was sewing so they wouldn't bunch.
Today I decided (I don't know why this didn't hit me before) to sew one line of gathering in the seam allowance and one below the seam line.   It looked like this:



After I pinned and adjusted my gathers I sewed along the seam line, which falls between the two rows of gathering stitches.  (my sewing is really not straight, but the baby was hanging on my leg and trying to get to the peddal...the pictures are getting posted anyway).  All that was left to do was pull out the bottom row of stitching, which was easy since it wasn't caught up in the seam. 



I like how the gathers turned out.  They seemed much more even.  Definitely a technique I will use again!







No comments:

Post a Comment