Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Headband tutorial for kids or adults

I love looking at hair styles on Pinterest.  For many years, I had short hair.  I kept asking my husband how I should style it.  Long, short, etc.  He finally sort of gave me an opinion a couple of years ago saying, "You haven't had your hair long in awhile."  I took the hint, glad to try something new.  Anyway, I am always looking for fun new ways to do my hair.  I have seen so many cute hairstyles with a narrow headband and a bun or something similar.  I have a headband like this but haven't worn it in  awhile so I decided to wear it the other day in a bun type style.  First, I teased the top and pulled a section back with bobby pins holding it with some volume.  I then put the narrow headband on,  with a section of each side in front of the ear left out.  Taking the left out sections, I wrapped them around the headband a time or two.  Then I took sections of hair (which I had curled slightly) from the back and wrapped them up and over the headband, pinning them in place. 

It was super fast and I got a lot of compliments on it.  Because of that, I decided to do a tutorial today for the headband.

Here you go!

First, you will want a couple of simple supplies:

Trim that you want to use for the main headband part.
Ribbon
Hair elastic

Hot glue gun










Once you have your supplies together, cut the end of the trim and use something to melt the ends so it doesn't fray.  I usually use a lighter (by the sink in case) and lightly run it past the end of the trim.  This will melt the ends so it doesn't unravel. 









Next you will want to measure the length you will need.  I actually just held it up on my head where it would lay, and held the end where I would want the trim to go.  I have it go a little past my ears so it won’t show as much if I am using it as a headband with my hair down.








Cut the end and seal/melt it.







Get your hair tie and cut it open.
Once it is open, melt it too on one end.







Glue the melted end onto one side of the trim.



Take your ribbon, melt the edge and glue the ribbon over the spot where you glued on the hair tie. 
 
Wrap it around the front with a touch of glue to hold it in place there.
Cut the ribbon so it will wrap around the back, melt it careful not to get the trim too.


Put a dot of glue on the back, then push the end of the ribbon on.

 
Now you will do the other side.  Make sure the trim doesn’t get twisted.



Now you are done!

Here are some more fun trim ideas.  You can really be creative with this.  I have even seen some really cute headband with two rows of the trim next to each other.  Play around and see what you can come up with.

You can also do this for girls.  Just use their head measurement.



~Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment